The idea to develop the toolkit was inspired by over a decade of work on non-medical prescribing research and education by Dr Nicola Carey and Dr Karen Stenner at the University of Surrey. A team was called together in the spring of 2017 to develop the toolkit. The team included NMP leads, educators, researchers and policy makers from the UK, with representation for nursing, pharmacy and allied health professions.
The non-medical prescribing (NMP) toolkit provides resources for healthcare professionals, non-medical prescribing leads, service and provider organisations, commissioners, and Universities with reference to the implementation of non-medical prescribing. The toolkit consists of trigger questions, signposting and links to current guidance and is designed to support those who are interested or involved in non-medical prescribing.
Who is the non-medical prescribing implementation toolkit for?
The NMP toolkit may be used by all in the UK. The resources it provides can be used to support healthcare professionals who wish to become a non-medical prescriber and enhance their knowledge of the role requirements. Patients and carers and other medical professionals may also find the toolkit useful.
- ANDREW RIDEOUT, NHS Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. Chair of the Non-medical Prescribing Leads’ Group and active non-medical prescriber.
- DIANNE HOGG, Programme manager Chief Professions Officer’s Medicines Mechanisms Programme, NHS England. Formerly Non-Medical Prescribing Lead, East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust and North West non-medical prescribing leads’ network chair.
- HELEN WARD, Associate professor for Non-medical Prescribing, London South Bank University, member of ICN ANP/APN network
- JACQUI KINSEY (MSc. IPresc. MFRPSII MRPharmS FHEA), Director of Prescribing Education, Centre for Professional Development and Lifelong Learning, Keele University.
- JUDITH EDWARDS, Post Graduate Research Student, University of Surrey
- KAREN STENNER, Lecturer, University of Surrey, PhD on Implementation and impact of nurse prescribing
- LOUISE COPE (MPhil BPharm (hons), PGCertEd, MRPharmS IP) Senior Lecturer, Postgraduate Education Pharmacology and Non-medical Prescribing, Edge Hill University
- MATTHEW LEVER, Educational Technologist
- NICOLA CAREY, Reader, University of Surrey, Nurse Independent/Supplementary Prescriber and Vice-Chair for Association for Non-medical Prescribers
- PENNY FRANKLIN, on the executive for the Association for Non-medical Prescribers
- SALLY GOSLING, Assistant Director, Practice and Development, Chartered Society of Physiotherapy
- SALLY JARMAIN, Non-medical prescribing lead for North Devon Healthcare Trust and Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust. Chair on South West Regional Non-medical prescribing leads network
- SIMON OTTER, Principal lecturer and Academic lead, Podiatry Department, University of Brighton